Saturday, April 28, 2012

Practico mi Espanol...

Thursday I stayed at work late enough for the cleaners, Rigo y Norma, to arrive. They are believers who go to a Spanish-speaking Baptist church, and they are happy to have me practice my Spanish on them. They speak so little English that the Spanish really is necessary! But I've felt stumped lately because we had talked about all the things I knew the words for.

Until this time! I was able to tell Norma, in Spanish, that my car was in the shop, that my mother would be picking me up in a few minutes, that I did NOT want her throwing away my box of mealworms/Darkling beetles because it is bad to release them into the environment (that concept was a little difficult to get across), that my students love to gather around the mealworms and examine them...all these words and their conjugations kept popping into my brain! I'm sure it wasn't all correct...but it was still really exciting!!

I'm halfway through the first Rosetta Stone (done with Unit 4). I'm finding a lot of it is solid review with some good vocabulary thrown in. I want to be all done by the time I go to Spain, in six weeks.

Also - I was considering making t-shirts for my class, and found this awesome t-shirt website! I've always thought this kind of thing was an obvious use for the Internet! http://www.customink.com/ It totalled up to $10 a shirt while I was experimenting - with free consulting advice (that I did not use) and free shipping! wow!

1 comment: